Monday 6 May 2013

DAY 5: BAD NEWS!



Morning All! I'm afraid that I have bad news. On Monday evening I incurred a knee injury. Although not horrendous, I know that I need to rest it for up to 10 days. The last day has been very difficult, as I've been deciding whether to continue on land, or come home. Yesterday I had to come to Harlingen by 4 buses, relying on them being empty and the kindness of people, of which there were many. I love the Dutch! However, the truth of the matter is that getting around on public transport with a bike when you're not riding it is not easy. Two weeks before this trip, my friend had to pull out and I had to reorganise what I had spent 4 months planning. And yesterday, whizzing past those tulip fields and looking at them through the window of the bus when I should have been smelling them as I rode by broke my heart. It's been a difficult decision to make as I know how much support you have all given me, how eager you've been to hear of my progress and the money you've donated for me to do this ride.

I've therefore made the very difficult decision to come home and fly back out to Copenhagen in a weeks time. I'm so sorry to relay this news, but hope you all understand. Riding my bike with an injured knee is just not possible and could cause longer term damage. To have this happen so early on was my worse nightmare, but it has made me realise that I will be coming back to The Netherlands to ride my bike one day. It's beautiful! And coming to this decision has not happened without tears. I'm totally gutted!


However, here are some little facts and figures. Miles done in training: 800. Miles done on the ride:150. :-(


I want to thank everyone for their support and the money raised for this very important and special  charity - Special Olympics GB.

No comments:

Post a Comment